Delicious Burgundian recipe for chicken pot pie in the oven: about 1 hour preparation time and 75 minutes to cook for 6 people to enjoy.
SHOPPING LIST FOR CHICKEN POT PIE IN THE OVEN
- 1 bag white pearl onions of about 1 inch (3 cm) : 10 ounce (284 g)
- 3 ounce butter (85 g) + 1/3th of a cup for the roux
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 finely chopped leek (white and pale green part only)
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup green beans cut into pieces
- 18 ounce (500g) white mushrooms, quartered
- 3 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) boneless chicken breasts, skin and fat removed, cut into cubes of 3/4 inch (2 cm)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 dried thyme
- 1 lb (500 g) puff pastry dough from the shop
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
More on fitbit one black
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN POT PIE WITH PIE CRUST
- Boil water in a saucepan and blanch the pearl onions for 1 minute. Drain the onions, rinse under cold water to cool and peel.
- Take a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil and put over medium heat.
- Add the leek stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the pearl onions, potatoes, green beans and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly softened. Add salt and pepper, put the vegetables in a large bowl and set aside.
- Wipe the skillet put over a medium heatsource. Add bacon and bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and let it drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the chicken in the skillet, bake and turn until the chicken is browned on all sides.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and drain on the plate with bacon.
- Remove excess fat and put over medium-high heat. Pour the white wine in the skillet and cook, scraping bottom to loosen the bottomparticles for 1 to 2 minutes or until the wine has almost evaporated.
- Add the remaining butter and melt over medium heat.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1 minute whilst stirring. (same amount of fat and flour is needed)
- Stir in the milk and the broth with a whisk.
- Bring to a boil and stir with a wooden spoon for 4 to 5 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl of reserved vegetables, add the drained chicken and bacon and toss gently. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll half the dough out to a circle whose size exceeds that of the baking dish of about 1 inch (2.5cm).
- Place the dough in the baking dish (content of about 5 cups or 1250 ml) and let the excess hang over the edge.
- Pour the chicken-filling into the dish.
- Roll the remaining dough into a circle of the size of the dish.
- Combine in a small bowl the egg yolk with 1 spoon of water and brush a little of the mixture around the edge of the lower bottom.
- Place the second pie crust over filling.
- Fold the edge of the dough in the lower part and seal the two crusts together.
- Make three cuts through the top of the crust to allow steam to escape and then brush with the egg yolk mixture.
- Bake in the lower third of a preheated oven of 350 °F (180 °C) for 1 hour or until the crust is golden and the filling becomes bubbly.
Put the chicken pot pie on a wire rack to cool down for at least 10 minutes before serving.